Thursday 16 April 2015

Recce of the Kinder Downfall fell race

My marathon training is progressing well, and this week's long run was due today as I'm out in the hills all this weekend teaching navigation. I decided at the last minute to join friends from Glossopdale Harriers on their recce of the Kinder Downfall fell race. I know the route, but just fancied running with other people, at least for part of my run. The race route is only 16km, and I needed to be out 3 or so hours, which in distance terms could be anything from 15-20km-ish depending on ascent and motivation.

Leaving Hayfield along the race route I had planned to see how I felt at Kinder Low trig point, and if feeling good I'd extend the run back to Hayfield via South Head and Mount Famine. That's exactly what I did, and managed to get Sharn and Barry to join me too! So it was a band of six until Edale Cross, then Nev, Malc and Tony continued on the race route and us three picked up the flags round to South Head. I'll let the photos speak for how enjoyable the run was....

Approaching the White Cabins before descending down to
Kinder Reservoir and the bottom of William Clough
Exploring the path options in William Clough
My running companions as we've reached the edge path
Running towards Sandy Heys and Kinder Downfall
Blue gear and blue skies at Kinder Downfall



My last marathon training run was on Sunday and me and Zoe were on Kinder edge path in very different weather conditions...wow, what a contrast today - a gentle breeze and t-shirts!

My last recce of Kinder Downfall race route in full was back in 2012, the year I ran the race.

1 comment:

  1. it's a different world in good weather, great to see you made the most of it. Well done all :)

    ReplyDelete