Sunday 26 April 2015

Kinder Downfall Fell Race 2015

Wormstones catching the morning sun as
I run towards Chunal Cabin
The training for my marathon is going well and it's amazing to think that 3 years ago just running this 16km fell race was a daunting prospect. So imagine how chuffed I feel today for deciding to run from Glossop to Hayfield, and then run the race today!

The flagstones towards Mill Hill
I set off at about 8.15am, giving myself plenty of time to do the 13-14km route over to Hayfield in time for the 11.30am race start. Knowing I'd be running about 30km today I took it steady, walking most of the uphill sections up to Chunal Cabin, and up to the flags on Mill Hill. Then I settled into a great rhythm on the flags (pausing only to take photos), running all the way up to Mill Hill and down to the bottom of the steep climb onto the Kinder Plateau. I can't (yet) run all the way up the steep section there, but I picked out a big stone that I'd aim for in the race and managed to run to it on the way over. Just another 150 paces and I'd be at the top. It was actually really good to do a recce on race day, and the temptation to just keep running round the edge path was really strong as I approached Sandy Heys. I'd only seen a couple of walkers and the way ahead was basking in sunny solitude...a bit different to how it would be in a few hours. But, the race was entered, and it is a club champs counter so down the hill I went.

Kinder corner....the final steep climb onto the plateau
From the bottom of Sandy Heys/William Clough I took the race route backwards....up to the White Cabin and down the Snake Path. The 13km or so route took me just under 2 hours. A super run over in glorious t-shirt sunshine, just a little chilly so gloves mostly on. I arrived into Hayfield and made my way to the scout hut. Lovely to bump into Hayley and have a chat, then onto registration via the ever-tempting Pete Bland sales....and yes, a new pair of shoes. Mudclaw 300s for me, pair #2. They'll be stored until the autumn.

Snake Path and White cabin in distance
The usual lovely pre-race banter ensued and I changed my top layers for fresh dry ones. I reckon the wind picked up a bit too before the race started so arm warmers back on, but jacket stashed. Dave Soles did a great pre-race start speech....the main take away was don't dilly-dally on the route as he wanted to be in the pub watching football later in the afternoon!

Soon enough there was the bustle of runners squeezing up the road to pick up the Snake Path. I always feel like there's a surge of everyone coming past me in the start of a race, but I settled into my own pace and managed to run to the first stile. I then did a run-walk-run-walk strategy (aka getting out of breathe then trying and failing to recover my breathing) all the way to the White Cabin. Various Glossopdale Harriers were just in sight ahead of me, but they all just stretched out the gap between us.

I wanted to push a little on here but my legs felt heavy. I know that the trod down to the bottom of William Clough offers few passing places, but I seemed to have found my pace and didn't actually need to pass except one person. Next comes the uphill section in William
the start of William Clough
Diagonal descent to bottom of
William Clough
Clough. Fairly dry today so plenty of choices to make on the route. Soon enough the steps at the top came, various comments were made about how tough it was from my fellow racers around me, but to be honest it wasn't as bad as I remembered it from 2012. Up to the finger post, thank you to the marshals, and on to the steep climb onto Kinder plateau. I made it running to my big stone, then continued to walk all the way to the top, 150 paces just as recced a few hours earlier. Thanks to Jude for the water, much appreciated.

The edge path should, essentially be relatively easy but you need total focus on the stones, lose rocks and lumps and bumps that you pass over. At some point here I was joined by Stagger of the forum and we exchanged conversation most of the way round to somewhere near Red Brook. I just couldn't shake him! My legs felt heavy and I was conscious that I could run out of water. Hmmm.

View from Sandy Heys over to Red Brook earlier in the morning 
View from Sandy Heys with South Head and the dragons
back in the distance (taken earlier in the morning)
At Kinder Downfall I was buoyed by Harshan taking photos - thanks for the big cheer, it really did pick me up. I traded places with a few runners around me, conscious that if I relaxed too much I'd slip further and just want to sit down. The temptation to stop and take photos was immense. I resisted. Next up was Kinder Low trig and then a hello to a friends son, duly on duty with jelly babies for his mum. Down the flags and I run on the soft edges catching a lady. We chat a bit (good luck with your 12hr race next week) then I pass and just eek a few metres ahead on the approach to Edale Cross.

Around here I hear a familiar voice....Nev urging me on, well it worked as although he passed me I managed to stay in touch with him down the grassy path, over the stile (hi to Geoff marshaling) across the traverse trod and into the fields. I'm flagging and fading quite nicely by now, but its too late to try and dig out some food. I have a little water left so refresh my mouth and push on. I tell Nev I'll see him at the end but in the first field I feel good and open up my stride and seem to be catching...I wonder if I can make that stile before him....push push push and I do! and the next stile...and the next. In fact I keep Nev just on my heals all the way down until we pass the Luvshack and hit the hard surface of the road. Here Nev pulls away from me a little and I let him. Legs are heavy and I don't want to end up walking in to the end so with about 2km left I get into a pace I can hold on with.

Nev is only just ahead by 20-25m. He says he'll pick off a few runners now so I keep the distance in check and sure enough I think we overtake 2 or 3 runners. I'd like to think that I could have got past Nev in the playground but he's experienced and I know he'll have something left for the finish straight so I give him the place and just concentrate on not stopping. I can't now anyway, there's a whole gaggle of Glossopdale Harriers shouting me in, Tim's voice the loudest!! Thanks, I definitely can't stop with such support bringing me in.

Round the corner and into the finish line. Apologies if I ignored anyone there or in the field....I found myself
thanks to MossieNet for the photo
www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/
on the floor wanting to recover but ended up with cramp in my right leg. There followed a comedic conversation with Tim telling me to 'just stand up' and me replying 'not on your nelly' (maybe not so politely). A good few moments passed and I'd recovered a little. There's some good chat but soon feeling cold me and Tim head back to the scout hut to change. Cake and a drink, sunshine and results, more delightful chat and then we're done. My time wasn't on the board when we left. Tim did astounding given he ran the Three Peaks yesterday, coming in 21st today. Good to see all my fell running friends out having a blast on such a glorious sunshine day. Thank you to Dave, the marshals, tea and cake people and everyone else that got this race happening.

I'm raising funds for Glossop Mountain Rescue Team by running the Howgills Trail 26 marathon (3 weeks today) - head over to Just Giving if you'd like to sponsor me, thank you!

*Update*
Full results now published, my official time is 1:54:19, and 220th/266.  In 2012 when I last did this race I was 245th/272 in 1:53:39. So, 40secs slower this time, but I did do a 13km warm up run over to the start line! Well pleased :)


No comments:

Post a Comment