Friday 28 February 2014

Easy does it

I did a long run yesterday, 22km in fact, and did I have two short guided runs scheduled for today but both of those plans fell through. It would have been really easy to just do the rest of my work and then potter around for the remainder of the day, enjoying a surprise 'rest day'. But wait. The sun was shining, and my legs didn't feel all that tired. Amazing. I could feel overall tiredness in my body which you'd expect from a week with 37km running, three x30 minute sessions on the turbo, a very brisk 6km walk, plus walking to town and back about 5 times. But, I actually felt like going for a run.

So, I set myself a rough plan to go up to Wormstones, a small outcrop of rock above Glossop, and about 3.5km from home. If I felt good at the 2.5km mark I would have a steady run/walk up the incline to the crag. My legs felt great on the way up. Yes, I wasn't pushing, and yes I was enjoying the bits I walked. Isn't that what it's all about on days like today. 
A damp peaty boggy path
As I reached Wormstones I just couldn't resist going that bit further and onward to the trig point at Harry Hut...
The trig point at Harry Hut, Kinder plateau just visible in the background.
I contemplated carrying on upwards, picking up the flagstones then turning left, and soon after left again to bring me down via Chunal cabin....but I wanted to enjoy the downhill section I'd just climbed, back the way I came it was. After a couple of minutes soaking in the view and taking a few photos I turned and headed down. The ground was very wet, surprisingly so given last night was dry and my run earlier in the week on similar terrain had me trying to figure out how the ground had dried out so much. Not here though. Even on the mowed sections of heather the ground were sodden. Lovely to run on though, I will have to pop back up there more often, especially before the heather grows too much.

Wormstones crag just sticking up next to the path...with Glossop way down below.
I surprised myself with the time it took me, I'd had a very relaxed approach to the run today and still managed to cover 8.5km in just over an hour. I have the idea now that I could probably do this route in under an hour...if I take off the stop at the trig point, the stops to take photos, and push a little on the climbs it seems very possible. We'll see next time! I guess it will depend if I'm after a challenge or a steady run.

No comments:

Post a Comment