Monday 9 December 2013

Running Research

Much to my delight I was invited to take part in a PhD research project looking at barefoot running and running economy. As part of the research I had my VO2 monitored whilst running on a treadmill - sounds easy? Well you try running at 14kph for 5mins, that is after running 10kph for 5mins and then 12kph for 5mins. I'd realised beforehand that the running would be fast, but afterwards working out the minute per kilometre pace it dawned on me that at 14kph I'd be running at a 42minute 10km pace. Way too quick for me (my 10km pb is 49:30), and, it seemed, fast enough for me to not need to do the final 5mins at 16kph!!

I was also tested on my triple hop for distance...average on my left leg was 402cm and on the right leg 419cm. At the end of the 8 week research I'll be tested on these two aspects and any differences noted.

The training aspect of the research for me began today. The programme initially consists of a series of exercises, drills and walking, all seeking to strengthen the feet, lower legs and improve plyometric strength. Training then progresses onto running barefoot in addition to the exercises and stretches.

Today's barefoot training was various stretches, calf raises, balancing and then 20 minutes barefoot walking. As I don't own a pair of fivefingers (which you can use) I actually did the barefoot walking in my bare feet! Early December probably isn't the best time to start walking outside with no shoes or socks on, but what the hell, I'm game.

I am genuinely interested to see what benefits can be gained by this research project. Having measurable aspects will easily show if I improve. The other thing I'm keen on is having a routine. I know from past experience of having a running coach provide me with a programme I am very good at adherence if there's an end goal. With this project, the end goal is a question - will there be improvement? I can't see how I would regress in any way, and anything that helps me routinely stretch and work on proprioception and plyometrics has to be a good thing.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lynne - I will be really interested to hear how you go on. I am based over in Bolton and am both a barefoot runner and a fell runner (Walshes rule!!). I was going to take part in a study last year but couldn't make it. We have quite a little community of barefoot runners now in the northwest. I pointed people towards your blog by maikng this our post of the day on our Barefoot Beginner website http://www.barefootbeginner.com/barefoot-post-of-the-day/
    Happy running
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, thanks for your message and the link on your website...I'll pop over and have a look around, I've already found the fb beginners group :)
      do you ever fell run barefoot?

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynne - Our feiend Grg did a barefoot fell race last year and wrote about it http://www.barefootbeginner.com/2013/06/28/the-eddies-revenge-fell-race-a-barefoot-running-review-from-greg-dimelow/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also work with Walsh and supple their PB Ultra fell shoe with the midsole removed to give a zero drop version. They are excellent. They make each pair to order. http://www.barefootrunningstore.com/product/hand-made-walsh-barefoot-fell-running-shoe-pre-order/

    ReplyDelete