Saturday 23 November 2013

Today's fell running gear

My plan for today was a 28km route from Glossop, over Kinder, round the Kinder Downfall route and back to Glossop. I've written about the run on my post, Frozen Glory.

So what did I carry for this run? Heading out solo onto Kinder is not to be undertaken lightly. Although a popular route for walkers and runners, and with a good (though cold) forecast here's what I packed:

OMM 6ltr bumbag (whistle is integral)
Sol Emergency Bivi bag
Waterproof trousers
Waterproof OMM smock
Food & water
3x handwarmers (I did think I'd need to crack one so took 2 spare, as it was none were used)
Big warm waterproof gloves
Warm hat + windproof beanie
Spare buff
Money (first time I've ever needed this in an emergency, not that this was an emergency, if you know what I mean!)
Compass
(no map as I know the route/area very well, but I do have viewranger on my phone just in case)
Phone in waterproof pouch
Torch - zipka - it does go dark every day, and even though I wasn't planning to be out late I always have one with me

Plus I was wearing:
Mountain Equipment Ultratherm jacket - wonderful and warm, but not too hot and great to just unzip when I need to vent.
Buff
Thin gloves
Long running tights
Base layer
Blister-inducing Orocs!!

What I should have had with me:
Compeed + plasters + tape
Different shoes for this one today

Brief comments on the INOV8 Orocs:
Apart from obviously giving me a blister, which is fairly standard for some new shoes I'm reasonably happy with how they performed. They are very loud and obvious when you're on tarmac, and though I would love to not run on tarmac at all there's the bits from home to open country/paths that are just not possible to avoid. On frozen ground the shoes were lovely, very confidence inspiring. But, on total glassy ice on the flagstones they were lethal...just as any shoe would be. I had hoped with the studs they'd give some grip on ice but no such luck. I'll report in again once I've worn them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment