Saturday 23 November 2013

Frozen Glory

Today dawned crisp and clear. A great day for a long run. I'd pondered going to Pendle with Tim and doing my own long run version of the full tour but decided I'd like to be home by lunch rather than spending time travelling.

My plan was to set out from Glossop, go up to Chunal cabin, Mill Hill, then around the Kinder Downfall fell race and return home whichever way took my fancy. Being icy and crunchy underfoot I thought today was a good opportunity to break the Orocs out of the box. They've patiently been waiting in the cupboard since May. The temperature was set to stay around freezing until mid morning, and setting out at 8.30am I reckoned on the ground staying hard all the way round. It did. Great.

Wormstones catching the morning rays, taken near Chunal cabin
Looking down on Mill Hill as I climb up onto Kinder edge path
James Thorn and Higher Shelf Stones in the sunshine, distant right horizon
What's not so great is that I had to abandon my run in Hayfield. I'd felt a small niggle in my left heal fairly early on but dismissed it as a new-shoe-twinge. Sadly by Kinder Downfall it was a hot spot verging on blister but I didn't want to look. I didn't want it to be real.

Kinder Downfall...a little ice but mostly white foam 
I could have gone back home from the downfall, but took a big swig of HTFU and continued. I ignored the growing pain, tightened my laces and carried on running on what otherwise was an absolutely amazing run. I was going slowly, but this was a planned 28km run so no speeding required. The views were stonking. So so clear....I could make out distant chimneys and power stations on the west coast easily. Looking eastwards there were smoke stacks I couldn't place...Nottingham perhaps? Certainly in that direction by a long way.

Kinder Low trig point with Hope cement works chimney in the distant right


Mount Famine and South Head
I paused briefly at the LuvShack (those of you who know this place know where I mean) to beg a plaster...cheers Andy!! I was now seriously contemplating bailing in Hayfield and had been doing so but shutting out those thoughts since Kinder Low trig. Damn. Such a good day. Feeling so good about this long run. Perhaps the pain will bugger off now I'd put on a plaster. Would the magic of a 5cm bit of sticky plaster work? Running from Bowden Bridge through the campsite I swiftly turned across the river and up the hill to test the heal pain 'going up' a short stretch. The route I had planned would involve probably another 400-500m ascent and about 13km. On the tiny uphill section my heal screamed at me to stop. Damn. Bailing it was.

After loitering around Hayfield for about half an hour I got the bus back to Glossop (£2.60 if you ever need this option). The wait gave me plenty of time to wonder...how would it have been if I'd carried on? Did I make the right decision? Well yes I did. But sitting here typing in my fluffy slippers and no pain with the sun still beaming down on the hills I so so wish I could have continued. I'll do the route again soon, this time maybe not wearing new shoes. Perhaps that was a foolish error, not to worry, I'm keen and human! Plus, I'm home and safe.

I've written a short blog on the equipment I used/carried today here.



No comments:

Post a Comment