Monday 18 March 2013

Rhinogs Running

The Rhinogs are mountains in north west Wales, more or less south Snowdonia. Though much quieter than the popular areas, the beauty of the hills, lakes and wildlife is better for there being less people. I've visited the area quite a few times now, and this last weekend was another memorable trip - this time with 15 of us from Glossopdale Harriers descending upon the cottage that nestles in the hillside above Llanbedr.

Me and Caity drove down Friday morning - the advance party - to arrive in daylight so the fire could be lit and welcoming for the rest. This also meant we had a few hours of daylight to pull on our fell shoes and head up the hill for a short, easy run. Having both recently been on navigation courses we took the opportunity of the unfamiliar area to do some micro-nav, I taught a little about pacing and we spent some time discussing tactics for navigation in orienteering fell races - we're both doing the Dark & White Mini Mountain Marathon on 24th March. The weather was on our side for fell running, but not great for navigation practice since the cloud base was way high and visibility good. Not to worry, we had imaginary blinkers on and got on with it.

Wall junction + sheepfold located


Caity on top of the cairn on Foel Ddu - superb navigation to this spot height

Looking back towards the cottage and the sea in the sunshine

The ground was really wet under foot, more so than I've ever seen in the area. I met up with a neighbouring farmer the following day and he told me the winter had been really wet, on top of the wet summer last year. Not surprising then that marshy areas are turning into mini lakes and paths into rivers. The afternoon turned to evening and the rest of the Glossopdalers trickled in. The log fire was stoked, lots of chat about routes for the Saturday run and a few beverages sampled. 

From left: Sikobe, Zoe, Caity, Julien, Tim and Alasdair....route choices being pondered
With the forecast predicting rain, possibly heavy, from 3pm onwards we jollied everyone along and managed to set off running just before 9am. Not bad for a group of 15, some of whom really wanted a lay in. We'd arranged to set off together, sharing the first part of the runs together. I'd planned to run round Moelfre on a route I've done previously - there's no steep or rocky ascent and it would give others who didn't want that sort of terrain the option of a decent run on fairly easy ground. At the split point the 4 in the fast had already whizzed off up Moelfre, into the cloud and above the snow line. 

A quick discussion left me on a solo run...everyone else opting to go for the summit. I plodded on down the road before turning south and onto a path which traverses around the hill, joining a decent track up to Llyn Bodlyn. The plan was for me to meet up with the 10 in the B group somewhere over that side. I pulled on my windstopper beanie soon after leaving the road - the drizzle had turned to sleet then driving snow. The snow was slippy underfoot and I was beginning to wish I'd worn my mudclaws and risked a blister (which happened last time I wore them).

The track steadily rises to the lake and I knew if I found the right pace I should be able to keep running. Trouble was, it was so beautiful I just kept stopping to look around, enjoying the views and searching the hillside to see if the others were heading down yet.

I got to within sight of the lake and could see 4 runners dropping off Moelfre....then they started running away from me. I was confused, not realising until later it was the fast party and I'd beaten them to the far side of the hill. What I didn't know is that conditions on the top were far from quick running terrain with knee deep snow to slow them down. But at that point I thought they were B group and heading off their intended route. Hmmm. Should I chase after them? No, I chose to stick to my plan so Tim would know where I was. I'd left a decent set of x-talon footprints in the track so Tim would know I'd headed up to the lake. 

footprints in the snow, looking back towards Moefre (summit in the snow cloud) from the track up to Llyn Bodlyn

I started to climb through a small boulder field, opting not to lose height before going up to the saddle in between Moelfre and Moelyblithcwm. After a few minutes I could see more runners coming off Moelfre...and Tim in a yellow jacket...the plan to meet up had worked.

Me with Llyn Bodlyn in the background

The B group plus me, Moelfre still in cloud behind us

bye....I wave as I head off and the group turns east towards Moelyblighcym then onto Y Llethr
A few photos snapped and a quick chat....the rest of the B group were running strong and still wanted to keep on with their plan so I found myself again, solitary on the hill heading down to Nantcol. It's just so peaceful, just me, a few sheep and tweeting birds...several buzzards sighted and maybe red kites. The path down to Nantcol was interesting. In the snow the normally damp path was a river, and with the moss and hidden stones it was a slippy river. My choice was to bound down the tufty grass in the snow which turned out to be easy than tufty grass running in the Peak. My x-talon grips aren't that sharp anymore so there were a few interesting slides and no-one to hear my whoop-whoooops! Reaching the road I was feeling tired. I'd been drinking and eating but now about 2 hours into the run my legs were feeling it. 

The next bit is steep uphill through some old mine levels. I knew what was coming so a steady plod and walk ensued. I promised myself fizzy sweets at the top. Incentive to get up there as quick as possible. I wasn't quick. Firstly I spotted some wild goats with a baby billy goat scurrying through the land below me, then a buzzard being chased by a crow. Then I looked towards where the B group would be and kept trying to spot them. I didn't see them, but the sun was shining brilliantly on Y Llethr and Rhinog Fach so I had to take a few snaps - poor quality as they're taken on my phone.



at last, the cloud on Moelfre lifts...I've just run around that hill

The sky out to sea was quickly turning to rain and heading my way so I made a massive effort to keep running. It was so tempting on tired legs to walk. But so close to the cottage I didn't want to get soaked. I turned northwards and was faced with a snow covered Foel Ddu - the hill me and Caity had run up yesterday - no snow then.

Foel Ddu with a snow covering

I ran into the snowline again then turned west and thankfully downhill back to the cottage. My tired body took some coaxing but I got myself sorted, showered, ate lunch, got the fire going and drank a pot of tea. By which time a few of the others were returning and over the next hour or so everyone came back with lots to tell about their runs+snow+scrambles+summits.

The evening was lovely, food eaten, beer and wine drunk, over home made beverages, cakes and chocolate sampled. A massive thanks to all the contributors and everyone who came along. It was a great weekend. Even the power cut on Saturday night was fun - eating and drinking by candle light was so cosy, the log fires keeping us warm.

Sunday morning came and went in a flash with everyone chipping in to help tidy and clean. Cars departed with various groups setting off for home....via somewhere for another run. Me and Tim were both on a rest day so gathered our belongings, locked up and headed home. I finally managed to stop at a shop I've been meaning to stop at for a while...Glassblobbery near Corwen. The chap was making a dragon while we were there, very talented and there were loads of lovely sculptures. Next stop, the farm shop for a few supplies then back home. A fantastic weekend in the Rhinogs. Snow on the hills, good running and excellent company.



No comments:

Post a Comment