Sunday 30 December 2012

Review of 2012 Aspirations

It was back in December 2011 when I set myself the following aspirations for this year:

#1 - 24 GDH runs
#2 - run 3 fell races
#3 - cover 25km in one go
#4 - 10 body weight chin ups

I did a review at the halfway point - here's the blog link to that. And here's a few comments on what I did achieve:

#1 - I never got myself back into the swing of club runs after the Olympics, a combination of my training plans not matching what the club was doing and more lately my choice to run in the daytime rather than at night. I really enjoy being in the hills to see the scenery and wildlife and running by headtorch, however good the torch is, just isn't what motivates me. 

#2 - achieved and beat my aim by running six races. I'm really pleased with the races I did. In June I started a training programme specifically for my running and that meant (to start with) that I wouldn't be racing. I didn't mind too much, and to be honest I've not missed racing. I like the social aspect of it, and the fact that it pushes you to work harder so I will be doing some more races in 2013 (more on that in another blog to follow). I did have plans to do the Dark & White mini mountain marathon in mid-December but the date clashed with a trip to Scotland. I definitely prefer doing the orienteering races so will be scanning the FRA calendar for local races to get in the diary.

#3 - achieved in June when I ran from Glossop to Hope - here's the blog to that run.

#4 - as I said in the halfway blog, I reached seven and never seemed to get into consistent training but I will do better next year. I only really have myself to blame for not achieving this aim, but sometimes life gets busy and I won't be dwelling on this.



Highlights of the year......running to Hope from Glossop. I was a great day out and I had the pleasure of sharing it with good company. I did also really enjoy the run over to Chinley for the beer festival, and not just because of the beer! Obviously the Olympics were just superb, how could they not be.

1 comment: