Wednesday 21 March 2012

Lessons Learned

Club run last night and I'm down at the leisure centre hoping my heel is not going to annoy me too much. I have the remains of a blister which was quite sore only the day before - well that was the second blister in the same spot within a week or so. But what they heck, it's only a bit of pain and not something that was going to stop me running.

Well that wasn't going to stop me. What did was the incredible tiredness I felt even running on the flat. From Old Glossop the group of seven Glossopdale Harriers plus me set off towards Doctors Gate....torches on as it was dark. By the gate onto the fields I was feeling a little drained and wondering if I had made the right choice to come out. I didn't feel tired at home. I pushed on, slowly losing touch with the group (well apart from Tim who was lovely and waited for me). Onwards I plodded, noticing I was just not feeling the love of running.

I made a decision to run as far as the bottom of James Thorn where the group turned up the steep slope - the plan was to follow the race route, and a shorter option to turn back westwards at the top of the first climb.  Being good souls there were offers to slow down and hang back for me, but I just wanted to get home and stop moving.

Heading off into the darkness alone I put aside creepy thoughts about the darkness and just tried to keep momentum going. It didn't always work, stopping on flat and downhill sections to walk and try to recover slightly. I took the shorter road route home, partly because there was a light being swept across the hillside ahead in a really odd place - no paths where the torch beam was on - but mostly because it was shorter.

I managed 6.23km in 44:04 with 130m ascent...averaging 7:04/km...which is actually a decent enough pace, shame it didn't feel like it!

Anyway, enough of the self-pity. I ran over 18km on Sunday, just 2 days previously. Then on Monday I did my strength and conditioning training at the gym. The combination of that, plus a hectic previous week has accumulated and taken it's toll more than I had appreciated. I was pleasantly surprised I felt so fresh after Sunday's race. The lesson I take from all this is that as my body is subjected to longer runs, races and packing a little more into a week I need to factor in more quality rest and recovery. On that note, I'm off for a sports massage.

1 comment: