Saturday 21 January 2012

Choices

I've been mulling over my 25km route (one of my aspirations for 2012) choice for a while now. I'm settled on running from Glossop (home) to the Woodbine (my second home) in Hope.

First choice route is Chunal Moor, Mill Hill, Sandy Heys, Kinder Downfall, Kinder Low Trig, Brown Knoll, Lords Seat, Mam Tor, across the ridge to Lose Hill and drop into Hope.

Second choice takes me the same route as far as Kinder Low Trig then follow the South edge of Kinder all the way to Crookstone Knoll, Hope Cross, Crookstone Barn, Hope Cross, Hope Brink to Twitchill Farm and drop down to Hope from there.

Mam Tor ridge with Lose Hill in sunshine


The dilemma is that I want to do the Mam Tor Ridge but that route only works out at about 23.5km. 1.5km short of my target. I don't want to end up adding on a detour just to make up that distance and the descent into Hope off Lose Hill just comes naturally to me...any detours from the fields I know so well would just feel wrong and false. Choice 2 is a tad over 25km but doesn't have the ridge run. If I added Win Hill summit in it would be longer by about 1.5km. Not going to the summit would feel wierd. Or maybe I wouldn't care at that point. Hmmm. I shall ponder. Does 1.5km matter? Is the route choice more important? I shall return to the map and see what options there are at the start or along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Nope, the distance doesn't matter at all. Its the journey, not the destination. And if this particular route happens to only be 23.5km, the next run might be 27.6km.

    If you DID decide to go to Win Hill, you could actually do the first part of the 15 trigs. Glossop, Harry Hut, Kinder West, Kinder Low, Brown knoll, (then back around) and over Kinder to 1924, then Winhill trig and Hope. That'd be quite a route for you.

    ReplyDelete