Tuesday 23 August 2011

S&P Gym - weeks 5-8

I got the new training programme yesterday and did the first session. Wow, that was a bit harder. Mostly because of the killer finisher - more technically called a metabolic killer I believe! Well that's what I'm calling it.

Here's the programme (finisher shown separately below):


Yesterday had me undertaking session 1. I'd had a good look at it and could see there was only 2 super sets. Nice. So that initial thought lulled me into a false sense of security. I had the exercises explained to me and off I went.

First up, Bulgarian Split Squats. These were just body weight today to get me used to the technique. It's actually harder than it looks - you have to maintain good balance (good core strength and pelvic floor control help) which is not easy when one foot is behind you on a bench and you squat down. I got the technique in the end, just need to make sure my planted foot is forward enough. 8 reps on each leg. I could feel the stretch quite significantly in the quads of my raised leg. Need to focus on the drive up and glute squeeze on the planted foot. By the 4th set these were really hurting.

Then Assisted Chins. Just what they say. Though this week I've progressed to just the green band looped over the top and one knee in it, rather than green and blue across the cage with both feet on it. Interesting I thought. But only 5 chins to do. First set seemed OK, 2nd not too bad, 3rd and they're getting harder, final set - oh my, they are tough. Really had to dig deep to get full clean chin ups at the end.

Final part of the first super set - Ring Press Ups. With much amusement on my part I took a fair while to grasp the position needed to do the press. In my head I see the rings as tough just to keep your body position stable, let alone do 10 press ups on. Let's just say all sets were hard. The 3rd particularly but having Sean there urging me to press it did help - no slacking when he's right in front of you! Not that I'd dare slack anyway - I'm sure they have hidden cameras!

So, 4 sets of A1-3. I managed to do so with 1 minute rest in between. I'm keen to time rest periods, otherwise you end up wandering about for 2-3 minutes, chatting to someone and focus slips. Having the stop watch keeps you focused and determined.

Now, onto super set B.
B1 - RDL to wall 3x12
B2 - DB Alt Standing Shoulder Press 3x10
B3 - DB Rows 3x12
B4 -Plank 3x45 seconds

B1 - I'd mastered the RLD technique over the previous 4 weeks so settled into these nicely. I think the weight will notch up one next week and progress over the next 4 weeks.

B2 - just as it says, dumbbell shoulder press, alternating sides. I started with 6kg not sure how that weight would be - as it turned out, I managed the 1st set OK, 2nd not too bad (starting to breath heavier), 3rd and I'm counting down the reps to make sure I reach 10 on each side, and the final set are just hard from rep4 onwards - but I manage it. To keep at 10 on each side I think I'll be sticking to 6kg for a few weeks. We'll see. Progression each week is nice but finishing the set in good form it just as important.

B3 - dumbbell rows with 7.5kg. Needed a few pointers on technique here - keeping elbow tight, rotating shoulders slightly and not pulling too far back. All sets completed without too many issues, but did feel tired in lower back towards the end. Will check technique with Sean again next week. Weight will increase for sure on this one next week.

B4 - here's the killer - after B1-3 then straight into plank. Oh my, that's tough. I'd been managing to increase time on the plank over the past 4 weeks quite nicely but today there was no way. So much so that on the final set I failed - managing only 35 seconds, rested for 5 then did 10 more seconds. Slightly disappointing. But boy was I tired. And weirdly starting to feel a bit sick too.

Now. Here's the kicker. They like to do a finisher with you down at the delightful S&P gym.  It's usually something to dread in a fun sort of way. But looking at what was in store for me, and another female athlete in the gym, was not going to be fun. Take a look:


So we start with 10m long, 2inch thick ropes - you have to beat your arms as though you're hitting drums. the ropes are heavy. Straight outside to drag the sled forwards 20m then backwards 20m - it's got 60kg of weight on it. Next up - 10 sledgehammer smashes onto a big tyre - on each side. (my first time on this piece of 'equipment' and technique needs a little work - still, it was nice getting some decent hits going). Finally, if you're still physically able to, it's a 10m bear crawl forwards then 10m backwards. And collapse. But don't rest too long - you've got 5 sets of those to do AFAP - As Fast As Possible. 

I didn't take note of the time but let me tell you, had the other woman given up I could have very easily joined her. As it was, she was up first and I followed...all the way through 5 sets, and all the way to near being sick. Just to check I wasn't going to actually be sick I took a steady jog to the end of the mill and back.  I wasn't. But that's the closest I've even been to illness though exercise/training.

So, reflecting on this a day after. I don't feel to bad. My shoulders are the main area of tension so I'll be cashing in a sports massage from Tim later on. Recovery run later for me today. Just a short one, maybe 30 minutes. Might do a road run too - less thinking involved and can keep a steady recovery pace easier than off-road.

Despite the hard work and sweat factor, training at S&P is wonderful. There's a great crowd of people get down there and just get on with it. No frills, no magazines to read. Just heavy shit to move. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment