Sunday 12 June 2011

Yellowslacks

A bright start got me fired up to get out there...I knew it was going to rain, but if I got up and out early enough I'd get a bit of distance under my feet before the dampness crept in. I could tell my knee wasn't up to running, still feeling a slight twinge on the outside. I wanted to go hunting the DPFR calendar box but the potential location of it had a ramble of about 16km from home...too far, so I ditched that in favour of geocaching over Shire Hill and Yellowslacks, with the potential to ramble up to Dog Rock if I felt strong enough.  There was also a cache up towards Shelf Benches, so if I was going really strong I could head over that way, either over the top and down, or back to Mossy Lea and up the track if I didn't fancy a heather bashing session.

Good going up, couldn't find a couple of caches - one because of muggles and just not getting the feel for being in the right place, despite having the full GR with me, the other because of too wide an area to search under shrubs with too many bees on the flowers! Another time. Onwards and upwards. Had a chat with a guy out for a walk with his dog - lived in the area 40yrs and this was only his 2nd time up the hill. Good on him for not letting the weather put him off. By now the sky was totally covered with grey cloud and a fair old breeze blowing. Then as the ground eased in steepness the rain started. Turning to glance south-westwards I could see the rain was set in and would get heavier. I decided to ditch the Dog Rock distance, probably only a kilometer, maybe less, short.  Having been chatting I'd not wandered over to collect one cache, which I easily retrieved on the way down. I was starting to get a little cold now having dropped over the edge and right into the full force of the wind - blowing maybe 25-30mph and bringing stinging cold rain drops with it in lashing sheets. With the cache found, signed and re-stashed I took shelter in the corner of the craggy rocks, mostly dry and out of the wind. Additional layer added, well, put under my soft shell to see how that combination worked.

The scenery, even with the harsh weather, was beautiful. I huddled in the corner and enjoyed a warming drink of hot ribena just taking in the view. Not much wildlife on show today. I did witness one small bird clinging on to a wire fench...on take off you could see it bracing against the wind, only to be overtaken by the power and swept off backwards with its wings tucked in tight. I spotted a few other birds though they were all staying low to the ground.

Heading home I soon discovered my knee was not happy. Perhaps I should have done some downhill before getting all the way to the top of Yellowslacks, just to test how it was. But hey, it felt fine, I had actually thought it felt really strong on the few bits of downhill I had done - in the scramble into Shitern Clough. But no. The knee was not happy. By the gate at the bottom I was wincing and far from happy. I contemplated which route home included the least elevation loss...plumping for round the west side of Shire Hill - short and steep ascent/descent and the shortest route home. And just back in time for the MotoGP. I'd only been out about 2 hours, a little more perhaps.

I'm pleased I went out; bagged 3 geocaches and got a little more familiar with the hills by spending time with the map out and working what is where.

Total distance - approx 8km
Elevation gain - 339m

No comments:

Post a Comment