Wednesday 1 June 2011

10km

That was the aim and that's what I did. I was also aiming for 500m ascent in there too, and on the route I'd planned online it had about 489m so I thought it was pretty much in the bag as long as I kept one foot going in front of the other. Not so...the garmin showed only 393m elevation gain. Mildly disappointing, but I know for that route another time.

The route took me along Derbyshire Level and up the lovely track and path to the Shooting Cabin below the grouse butts. Under foot the path was still pretty hard packed even after the rain we've had in the past week or so. I stopped for a few minutes to take in the view and catch my breath. Once again the uphill route and yet another headwind would not allow my lungs to relax. I'd taken my inhaler before setting off but needed it before I reached the gate onto the path. I tried with the buff over my mouth again but found after 4 or 5 breathes that I was just needing fresh air. Trying to stick to my 50paces running, 50 walking I  headed up the hill behind the Shooting Cabin. The path was a bit off to the right so I bashed through the heather for 100m, stumbling upon a rather large caterpillar. Maybe one of these?

Drinker Caterpillar
But I'm no expert so if anyone knows what sort of big hairy caterpillars are around on Kinder let me know.

Not much further along the path and I'm buzzed by two curlews chirping away. They're classed as a large wader but breed on damp grassland and moors...I wonder if I was a little close to their nest?  Moving up a little more and I get spooked by, and spook, a grouse!

Still struggling for breath heading up I'm pleased the ground is softening...sticking to the edge of the path I avoid the worst of the bogs, but dodging them takes more effort and concentration. I guess I'm gonna be swollowed by one at some point, until then I'll keep avoiding them!  At last I reach the paved path and can enjoy some speed on the top. I contemplated adding a short trip to Mill Hill but stick to my route and known distance. I'll keep that one for next time, knowing it will be tempting to head North(ish) along the Pennine Way and across to Bleaklow/Doctors Gate...the possibilities for running routes is a little mindblowing and quite distracting!  Must get my fitness up so I can just go run run run.

Bogs along the path up to Harry Hut were growing in size. Thankfully my breaks work or one would have swallowed me good and proper! I'm past the stage of liking having clean shoes, it's not that I worry about. I'd just rather not be waist deep and sinking all alone up on Kinder! At the trig point I paused for a moment or two, taking in the view on this gloriously sunny day...then big breath in and on my way down down down, past Wormstones and on to Gnat Hole. Looking at some photos online there's some great images of the path down in winter....in a weird way I can't wait for those conditions.

A small exploration of the Gnat Hole paths was had; the path is covered in leaves, mud and tree roots - not ideal when my left ITB around the knee was giving me some minor pain. Back to the road and trying to get a rhythm of 50paces running, 50 walking. Determined to stick to that but not quite managing it on the uphill stretch. Along the flat I was noticing my knee a little more, perhaps the tarmac hardness wasn't doing it much good. I returned home via Jumble (don't you just love the name of that place) to a well earned massage and ice application on the knee. Resting up now, contemplating how I can get my breathing better/easier.

Total time: 01:23:10
Moving time: 01:18:19
Elevation gained: 393m
Distance: 10.01km
Avg HR: 168bpm
Max HR: 183bpm

No comments:

Post a Comment